Sunday, January 23, 2011

2004 Sanford Pinot Noir (Central Coast, Santa Barbara County, Santa Rita Hills)

This was quite possibly our favorite Sanford pinot noir for years, and I hate to say it, but I think that it may just finally be on the decline.  Storage conditions on this bottle, as well as the others have been perfect since release.

Popped and poured today at Manila Bay on Castor Avenue in Philadelphia, as we celebrate 15 years of faithful service to the neighborhood. Today however, Manila Bay opens its doors for the last time, and we bid Cherrie and Bob a fond farewell. They are the closest thing I have to Filipino family on the East Coast, and it's sad that this is our last visit.

Gorgeous ruby red color in the glass, but the nose is starting to fade compared to when we last had this wine 2 1/2 years ago. Some cherry and strawberry on the nose, with hints of cola and spice, but these are all
fading and subdued. Some herbal notes round out the nose.

On the palate, the first thing you notice is a bit of sour cherry, where the cherry used to be fresh, lively, and forward. More strawberry on the palate, with a hint of black cherry, raspberry, and cranberry. A little spice and caramel round out the palate, and the alcohol and tannins are nicely integrated at this point.

Plenty of nice flavors still on this wine, but it's not nearly as fruit forward as it used to be. I actually chose this wine after seeing almost a case of the 2004 between two different stores here in Jersey last Monday. I figured I could re-visit this wine, and if it was still showing well, I'd go back and pick up the case.

This wine has always had a special place in our hearts, and it definitely has a few years left. Unfortunately for me, I don't see it getting any better, so I think I will just sit on our last bottle, and try it again in a few years. Maybe this is a mistake, maybe it's not. We'll see! For now however, this is worthy of 87 points. Cheers!

No comments: