Saturday, December 11, 2010

2006 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills)

Decanted for about 2 hours in the bottle before pouring my first taste.  Great Santa Rita Hills nose, with black cherry and oak, with some raspberry, strawberry and spice.  A bit of earthiness on this as well, but gorgeous. 

On the palate, this wine still needs some time to integrate I think, but it could also be the vintage.  As I've said in the past, I haven't been a big fan of '06 pinot noir compared to prior to vintages.  Regardless, some nice fruit of dark cherry, raspberry, vanilla, and even some green tea. 

By the end of the bottle, this was starting to strut it's stuff, and this was starting to develop into the Sea Smoke that I really love.  Next time this needs a good splash decant for 4-6 hours.  90 points.

No comments: