Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cafe du Monde - New Orleans, LA

The legend of Cafe du Monde speaks for itself, so while traveling to New Orleans on Fat Tuesday of all days, a trip to the French Quarter was an absolute must.  And no trip to the French Quarter would be complete without a stop at Cafe du Monde for a beignet and some chicory coffee!

All of that said, we grabbed out rental car at the airport, and headed to the Quarter to check out the festivities.  We parked about a mile and a half away from the Quarter, and started walking towards the main drag.  We hung a left down Bourbon Street, stopping to get a frozen hurricane, which was also a must.  We walked about half way down Bourbon, and took a right on a side street to head towards the river.

After seeing the riverfront, I told my comrades that we absolutely had to stop at Cafe du Monde.  Of course the lines were long with tourists being Fat Tuesday, but no matter.  All in all, we waited about 30 minutes in line, and as always, it was worth the wait.

We got up to the window, and ended up ordering 3 orders of beignets for all of us.  They come 3 in a bag, and this was plenty as we wanted to save room for some Po-Boys for dinner!  But you might be asking yourself, "Self, what the heck is a beignets?"

Well, this best explanation I can give you is that it is deep fried dough, light, fluffy, and covered in powdered sugar.  You can also get a better description via the Cafe du Monde website.

These came out piping hot, in a small brown paper bag, covered in powdered sugar.  The first bite brought me back to the first time that I had these with my wife way back in the day when we were in New Orleans for Jeff and Jill's wedding back in 2004?  Or maybe it was 2005.

Whenever it was, I have never forgotten just how good these were, and how great they taste right there at Cafe du Monde.  I have made these at home, and it just isn't the same.  From the ambiance, to the flavor and texture you get eating the original, it just cannot be beat.  And the chicory coffee was delicious like always.

All in all, what is there to say about this legendary establishment?  Either you get it, or you don't.  Either you appreciate them, or not.  I know that I do, and I look forward to the next chance I get to visit the Quarter and have them again.  Great stuff with a great gang, and I hope it's not another 8 years plus before I have them again.  Cheers!

Café Du Monde
French Market

800 Decatur St
New Orleans, LA  70116
http://www.cafedumonde.com

No comments: