Wednesday, May 18, 2011

2010 Kaella Winery Rosé of Sangiovese Ciel du Cheval Vineyard

Had the pleasure of tasting this at a Wine Library Forum offline on 30 April 2011.  Special thanks to board member Sheila F for bringing this along.  I have seen the notes on this wine on the board, and the much praise that it received.  After having it, I am a HUGE fan, and I immediately placed an order for a case.  Special thanks to owner and winemaker Dave for digging deep into his cellar to fill my order.

Crazy, gorgeous, vibrant pink neon red color in the glass!  I absolutely love the shade of Rosé like this, but that was not the true beauty of this wine.  On the nose, some great watermelon notes dominated for me, with hints of strawberry, and Pal bubble gum.  The nose was rounded out by some great floral notes, and it was so spring, and so refreshing! 

On the palate, this wine was amazing, and different from many I have enjoyed, or not enjoyed.  It wasn’t your typical rosé, it wasn’t a Provence styled rosé, but it was delicious!  The first thing you notice is just the right amount of acidity.  Some fresh cherry, cranberry, grapefruit, and strawberry on the palate, with just a hint of watermelon again.  This wine is so refreshing, and would be great as the evening cools down after a hot summer day.  The finish was medium and nothing out of the norm for a rosé. 

All in all, I cannot tell you how pleasantly surprised I was with this wine.  I made it a point to try this as I’ve read about Dave’s wines on the Wineberserkers and Wine Library Forums, and I went out of my way to make sure I had a sip.  This is the first Sangiovese based rosé I’ve heard of and tasted, and all I can say is that I am so glad I did, as this is going to be a great summer sipper!  Kudos to Dave!  Keep up the great work at Kaella!  90 points.  Cheers!

Kaella Winery
19501 144th Ave NE, Suite D-500
Woodinville, WA 98072 | 425.241.8585 | info@kaellawinery.com

1 comment:

we know pinot said...

I've had the pleasure of trying a few Rose` wines made from Sangiovese and share your enthusiasm! A to Z winery in Oregon makes one for around 10 bucks and another that comes to mind is from Australia- Robert Oatley, I believe. Both have lovely, saturated color for a rose`, lively acidity and are just bursting with fruit...delicious and mouthwatering! I will look for Kaella!