Friday, November 12, 2010

2006 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon Shadow (USA, California, Napa Valley)

I opened this wine the minute we got to Peking Duck House so it would have some time to breathe on the table before it was poured. I have no idea how long it had been opened when the first pour hit the glass, but I would guess it was at about the 90 minute mark.
.
Deep dark color in the glass, and the first thing that hits you is the nose. Tons of creamy coconut/vanilla dominate the nose here. To quote the Widespread Panic song “Coconuts,” this “smelled like ladies lying in the sun!” It was crazy, and I have never smelled anything like that. Aside from this, you had some rich red fruits as well, with creamy currants and crème de cassis. Some raspberry and blackberry rounded out the nose, along with some blueberry and a bit of mocha. I didn’t get much oak on the nose at all, and I am guessing that this is where the coconut and vanilla came from. We have had literally tens of thousands of wines over the years, and I have to say that this is one of the most memorable noses I have ever smelled. I really can’t get over it, and we have drank some amazing wines, but this is one that will not be forgotten. The concentration of the fruit on the nose here was just insane!

On the palate, this wine was pretty damn big, and stood up all the wines at the table, and we had some nice, big wines at the table. The palate was silky smooth with some raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, currants, and strawberry, with just enough spice to notice, and some hints of mocha. To my palate, the alcohol was nicely integrated, along with the tannins, and the finish lingered for nearly a minute.

It’s funny to think back to the first time I had read about Ghost Horse wines on the old Parker Board (back when it was free), and seeing how much flack “The Todd” got about his over the top website, and his huge personality. I can’t say that I have ever met “The Todd,” but in the last couple years, he seems to have gained a lot of respect from board members at Wine Berserkers and elsewhere, and is truly a generous person. After having this wine, I am really looking forward to revisiting some of his wines from his other label, Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyards. As a matter of fact, I just picked up some more of his ’07 cabernet reserve.

This was hands down my wine of the night, and 94 point worthy, narrowly beating out a 2001 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, as well as a 1997 Insignia. You can tell that Todd puts some heart into this wine, and he is truly a remarkable winemaker. This was a superb wine, and I look forward to drinking this a few more times! Kudos to “The Todd,” and I will be contacting Carrie to pick up more of this. This very well could be the best $100 wine I have ever had, and it truly is worth the price of admission. Cheers!

No comments: