Friday, November 12, 2010

Joseph Phelps Insignia (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Popped and poured tonight, and I have no doubt in my mind that this would be better with a 1-4 hour decant.  In the bottle however, this did continue to evolve as the evening went on.

Another gorgeous '97 Insignia in the glass, with a gorgeous nose of cassis, blackberry, currants, plum, and some mocha and spice.  There was a bit of oak rounding out the nose, and just a bit of creamy vanilla.

On the palate, this is drinking as well as any '97 we've tried to date.  I can't say for sure that this is peaking right now, but after this was opened for about 2 hours, it was about as gorgeous as I can see it get, yet it will easily age another 5 to 10+ years with proper storage!

Dark berries and currants on the palate, with nice subtle hints of mocha, black cherry, blueberry, and blackberry!  Finally, a bite of licorice, and spice on the long supple finish.  The alcohol and tannins were integrated nicely, and all in all, this is drinking absolutely gorgeously.  I really do not see this wine getting a whole lot better, but there is just a bit of room for improvement I suppose.  This is definitely drinking better than the 2002 at this point.

Another contender for my wine of the night, but this was edged out by the Ghost Horse, and 93 point worthy.  Cheers!

No comments: