Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sea Catch Restaurant - Washington, DC (Old Georgetown)

Well, today we decided to take a drive to Washington, DC for a variety of reasons.  Originally, Zelda wanted to go to the Ann Hand store to look for some new broaches, but we found out earlier in the week that they were not open on the weekend.
 
That said, we headed to Georgetown for lunch before meeting up with our friend Rob in Alexandria to pick up some Sine Qua Non wines that he let me take off his hands from last fall's offering.  Thanks again Rob.
 
On the drive down, I asked Zelda to hop on the iPad and Google crab cakes near Georgetown, and this was one of the places that came up.  From looking at their website, and knowing the area, I was a bit afraid that this might be a tourist trap with boring food, but I don't think that was the case.
 
We arrived and parked at the garage right next door.  We walked over to the restaurant and first thing we saw was the ice covered raw bar.  This was a huge pyramid of ice, filled with fresh oysters that looked delicious! 
 
We saat and ordered some wines.  Zelda had a nice New Zeland sauvignon blanc, that was crisp and refreshing, and had the qualities that we love from Marlborough sauvignon blancs.  I had a pinot noir from Oregon that was actually a pretty pour example of classic Oregon pinot noir, but what can you do.  Regardless, I drank it, but wouldn't order it again.
 
Zelda had the fried filet of cod sandwich served with French fries and cole slaw, and it was delicious.  The breading on this was light and airey, and exactly how I like my fish and chips.  The fish inside was tender and flakey, and cooked very nicely.  All in all, this was a hell of a good sandwich.
 
Being this close to Baltimore, I went with what I was craving, and ordered the Crab Cake Sandwich with fries!  Anyone who knows me well knows how critical I am of crab cakes as I LOVE the ones that I make, but this was delicious.  This was sauteed and served on an English muffin, wth simple flavors that showcase the taste of the crab.  There is nothing at all I would change about this sandwich, and the flavors rocked!  The fries were good, as was the slaw, however, the slaw seemed to have an over abundance of parsley in it.

Overall, everything here was great.  The ambiance was nice, the service was good, and it was a nice lunch date!  One thing I will note, and one of my pet peeves is the fact that the prices they advertise on their website do not match their prices on the menu in house.  My sandwich was $3 more than the website advertises.  I know this is nit picking, but I do really find that annoying.

Even so, I'd go back for the crab cake!  Yes, it was that good.  Cheers!
1054 31st Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
Phone: (202) 337-8855
http://www.seacatchrestaurant.com/

No comments: