Monday, June 21, 2010

Japanese Beetle's in New Jersey

The last couple of weeks the Japanese Beetles have been pretty bad here in NJ, and have overtaken a hibiscus tree that I have outside of my office.  Not only have they been eating the leaves on the hibiscus, but they have also been migrating over to the vegetable garden that we have here on the side of our office.

This year, we decided to plant a little veggie garden here at work, and we 4 different kinds of tomatoes, 5 different kinds of peppers, zucchini, basil, etc.  I will be sure to post some pictures soon.  Even so, our veggies have been thriving, we have tomatoes and chili’s growing nicely, and all kinds of blooms on the other plants that continue to thrive.

 But early last week we noticed that the Japanese beetles were making their way over to the veggie garden, and we eating the leave son the sunflowers, as well as the marigolds.  I know what you are saying, and I don’t care for marigolds much either, but they are what the base purchases for base beautification, and we used them to try to keep the critters out of the garden, as it is said that a lot of animals do not like them.  I don’t know if it is the smell that marigolds put off or what, but it has keep a lot of the bad things away thus far.

So today, one of the guys in my office suggested I picked up a product called Sevin – 5, made by Garden Tech.   That said, I ran over to the BX/PX at lunch time, and purchased a can of the Sevin-5 powder, applied it, and then came in to enjoy my leftover cheese steak from DiVello’s.  About a ½ hour passed and I went back outside, and sure enough, this stuff worked like a champ.  99% of the beetles are gone from both the hibiscus and the vegetable garden, and the best part about it is that Sevin-5 is vegetable and plant safe.

So with that said, if you are having a problem with Japanese beetles attacking your plants or vegetables, this is a great option.  For more information, check out http://www.gardentech.com/.  Hopefully this is a great solution, and I will keep you up to date with how our beetle problem progresses, and how effective the Sevin-5 is working.  Until then, cheers!  -F. Scott

No comments: