Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Where Have You Been?

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the comments, e-mails, and concern when they you saw that I haven't been posting much as of late. I wish that I had a valid excuse as to why I haven't posted in quite sometime, but the only excuse I have is a full plate right now.

This is always a busy time of year for me at the house, as Zelda and I are constantly doing our Spring house work, getting the garden planted, and just getting the ho,use ready for Summer. This year, I took on the task of constructing a large pergola over our deck thanks to the help of My neighbor Dan, but it is almost done. It is rather large, and really completes our "backyard bistro." Just a few minor things left until it's done, such as the top stringers, electricity, lighting, a ceiling fan, curtains, decor, and planting some wisteria to grow up it, and it will be complete. It is already gorgeous, and I can't wait until all that stuff is done to get the final coat of stain on it.

In other news, Zelda gave me an iPad for my birthday, so hopefully that will help me stay more in touch with our readers, and give me a chance to write more. I can say that I have never been an "Apple Guy," but after using it for the last ten days, I have no idea how we ever lived without it. She got me the 64 gig WiFi + 3G and it is and awesome resource to have. I am actually writing this post on it right now.

In other news, it's farm season at Fernbrook CSA, and we have had a great few weeks so far this year, with lots of fresh greens and pick your own strawberries. As always, we truly enjoy the CSA, and we look forward to our weekly pickups.

Also in local news, the Bordentown Farmers Market kicked off last Wednesday, and despite the rain, there was still a good showing by both the vendors as well as the customers. This is another awesome resource, and I love to stop on my way home, even if it is a few minutes out of the way. There you can find anything from great local produce, to lamb, beef, chicken, cheese, local honey, clothing items made of alpaca, fresh baked goods, etc. Stay tuned as I will have a great write up and pictures soon. The main thing however to take away from this is that it is every Wednesday from 4pm to dusk. Check it out!

On the restaurant front, I have a ton of reviews to write! From my birthday dinner at No. 9 in Lambertville, to the Mill Hill Saloon in Trenton, to Tortuga's in Lambertville, there are many reviews to finish when I get time. Other restaurants include Hamilton Grill Room in Lambertville, Yummy Sushi in Robbinsville, The Farnsworth House in Bordentown, and I am sure many more when I remember them.

On the wine front, things have been slow. Thankfully Spring mailer season has subsided, and I haven't bought much at all as of late, which is nice on the wallet! On the not so nice side however, we haven't had a lot of time for much wine consumption either, but we have had a few bottles in the last two monthS.

We've tasted through a large portion of the Stefania lineup as of late, which is always a great experience. In the last couple weeks, we've tasted quite a few of the '06's: Uvas Creek Cabernet as well as the Santa Cruz Mountain cabernet. From the '07 vintage, we've had the Eaglepoint Ranch syrah, as well as the Haut Tubee blend. Lastly, we opened our first bottle of the '08 Chardonnay Chain d'Or Vineyard. And as always, all have been fabulous!

Other wines we've enjoyed as of late include an '02 Clos Du Bois Marlstone which knocked my socks off, '05 Alma Rosa Pinot noir, and an '07 Tobin James Cabernet Sauvignon/syrah James Gang Reserve. I am sure there were many others as well, and I will write them up when I get some time ton spend on Grape Stories. Lastly, I will have a full report from Berserkerfest 2.5 at Peking Duck House Manhattan, where we enjoyed some nice pinot noir, and wines from Sassicaia, Ornellaia, Chateau D'Yquem, Chateau Beaucastel, Tattinger, Williams Selyem, etc. What a great night.

In short, bear with me a few more weeks for things to settle down, and we'll be back in full force, and I am looking forward to It. Until then, CHEERS! - F. Scott

No comments: