Tuesday, December 21, 2010

West Side Gravy - Collingswood, NJ

With the big news that West Side Gravy would be closing afte the 1st of the year from renovations, we figured we had best get down there today to get our fix before the restaurant closes for a few weeks!

For those of you who don't know, Chef Alex Capasso announced that Blackbird, his first venture, will be moving to the West Side Gravy location on the main drag in Collingswood!  But wait, there's more!  Not only will Blackbird be in this location, West Side Gravy is also going to be in this location as well.  Two of my favorite restaurants, with two incredible chefs in Chef Alex Capasso and Chef Siobhan Allgood in one restaurant, sharing one kitchen!  Stay tuned for greatness!

So today we walked in and were greated by our server Janine.  She was super friendly when she greated us, and said that she was happy to finally meet us.  I looked as Zelda and we were both thinking, "who is this woman?"  LOL!  Turns out Janine is one of our friends on Facebook, and we just didn't recognize because she doesn't have her picture on her profile.  Regardless, it is great to finally meet you Janine.

We were given the run of the place, and picked the same table in the back that we always like to sit at for lunch.  For whatever reason, we pick a table in the window for dinner, but lunches are for sitting in the back.  I think it's because of all the sun during the day maybe.

We perused the menu, and one of the specials today was the fresh mozz!  This is always so good, and a must have!  The cheese is brilliant, and the breading is fried up golden brown, and absolutely delicious.  I don't think that you can fry anything better than this.  This is then served with a delicious tomato sauce, and garnished with a little pasta.  As always, this was delicious.  This was not the first time we've ordered this dish, and it definitely will no be the last time that we order this dish.  This is fried mozzarella on steroids baby!  Good good stuff!


For entrees today, I went with my gut and ordered the slider trio.  I was picturing this in my head this morning when I woke up.  I definitely had this on the brain, and we made it happen today!  This trio had a slight twist to the last one I had, and I have to find my notes to see exactly what these were.  OOPS!  It's been a couple days too long, and I can't remember off the top of my head.  Nobody said that getting old was easy!  Yikes!

Thankfully, Zelda was craving Mac and Cheese, and West Side Gravy has one of my favorites.  From the many different cheeses to the fresh herbs, this is great.  The buttery bread crumbs are just an added bonus!

All in all, what is there to say about awesome!  From the service, to the HUGE changes coming at West Side Gravy and Blackbird, these restaurants keeps us coming back.  To Chef Capasso, Chef Allgood, Adam, Amy, Janine, and the rest of "Team Capasso," kudos to you guys!  Keep up the great work!

And readers, stay tuned!  Tis is not the last you will hear of West Side Gravy in 2010.  Between you and I, you just may see this restaurant on our 2010 Top Ten!  Hint hint!  Cheers!

No comments: