Friday, April 2, 2010

2005 Tobin James Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah James Gang Reserve

If there is one wine that I absolutely have loved, it is has been Tobin James.  Toby and Lance make some fun, over the top fruit bombs, and this was no exception. 

Unfortunately, I don't know if my palate is maturing, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood for an over the top wine tonight.  This one showed quite a bit of alcohol on the nose, which is surprising given it's age.  Most of their wines drink very well young, but this one just didn't seem to come together.

On the nose, nice spice hints that I attribute to the syrah, along with some plum and pepper.  The cab strut it's stuff a bit with some blackberry, blueberry, and currants.  There was a lot of oak on the nose as well.  On the palate however, this wine left a bit to be desired.  The oak dominated with a ton of vanilla coming through, and the the alcohol seemed to overwhelm the finish.  All in all, this wine is not for the faint at heart, and I really don't see it getting any better with age.  82 points.  Cheers!  -F. Scott.

No comments: