Sunday, January 25, 2009

2004 Lieu-dit les Poyeux Saumur-Champigny

After a long weekend working on annual United States Air Force requirements, it was nice to come home and relax with Zelda with some good warm chili, and a bottle of wine after working out on the cold McGuire flightline all day! I can't say that I have ever been big fan of cabernet franc, but at a friends suggestion, we have tried a few in the last year. I definitely didn' expect a whole lot from this wine, but after seeing it in CellarTracker last night, I figured I'd go on a hunt to find this one in the basement and managed to succeed in locating it.
This is a very subdued wine, that is not really showing a whole lot of fruit, but this has been a common trend we have found with Saumur-Champigny. This was a very dark color in the glass, with a nose of black cherry, tobacco, tar, and oak on the nose. On the palate, this is definitely not a fruit forward wine, but we weren't expecting it to be a fruit forward wine. The finish wasn't isn't really on the tannic side, but there is definitely a bit of a sour bite and acidity to it. You would think that it would be integrated in 5 years, but I am not all that familiar on the "life expectancy" of this wine. It definitely is not over the hill, I just think that this is typical for this varietal.
All in all, a nice wine to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this wine. If we did see other vintages in a store of this wine, I would purchase it again for comparison sake. All in all, very drinkable, just not my style. 83 points.

No comments: