Saturday, January 17, 2009

2005 Jean-Michel Guillon Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes

This is a very young wine, but we really enjoyed it at a tasting at CoolVines in Princeton this past weekend. This wine was decanted for an hour or two before we got there, and could have sat in the decanter the rest of the day in my opinion before it really starts to show it's stuff. Although I would hold most of the '05's from this region for a long time, I think that this wine might actually start drinking well earlier, but I will still cellar ours for another 5 years or so before revisiting. Gorgeous but dark color in the glass makes me wonder if they picked this fruit a little late, but I could be wrong. The nose is very fragrant with some cherry and subdued berry. Some cherry on the palate, with a hint of clove and spice. This is a big, juicy, and intense wine, and I think it will be incredible in another 5 years. Is this the cream of the crop for '05 Burg's? No, but it is a pleasure to drink! 92 points for a great Burg after a long decant, heading to 94-95 with some years in the bottle. Enjoy 2014+! Kudos to CoolVines for having such a great wine on their weekly tasting! Cheers!

No comments: