Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fusion 2 - Hamilton, NJ

Well, I made it through what I thought would be one of the most challenging Air Force days I have ever experienced, but with the help of some of the best Logisticians in the Air Force, the day was truly a breeze, albeit a bit longer than usual.  Even so, I got home, took a nice cold shower after a hot day, and we headed over to Fusion 2 for some sushi.

We walked in and were greeted by the same gentleman that is always there and so gracious.  We were seated at the sushi bar, and the first thing I noticed was the fact that it was warm in here today.  I am sure this had everything to do with the heat index that was over 100 degrees today, and the fact that they hibachi tables that were all packed and fired up.  They were even using both tables located at the backside of the sushi bar.  So note to self for next time, don’t come here when it is super hot outside!  I was sweating!  This however is my only gripe about this place with having visited a dozen times or so.

I had a late lunch, so I wasn’t super hungry today.  Even so, we started with the Haru Maki (Japanese spring roll), and these came out quick and hot.  These are 4 small spring rolls, lightly fried and filled with vegetables.  As usual, they were the same as last time, fried to a golden brown, with a lot of crunchy crispiness.  These are always tasty, and can you really go wrong with a fried spring roll?  I don’t think so!

Zelda ordered a few different rolls, ranging from a spicy salmon roll, to a California roll, to a Denise roll.  As usual, these were tasty, especially the Denise roll.  I forget what is in here exactly, but I think it is either crab or lobster, and then topped with a sort of peanut sauce, and is delicious.  I went for a tempura shrimp roll, as there is nothing better than good fried tempura shrimp.  The last few times we’ve been in I’ve also done whatever the sushi chef’s special was, and I did again tonight.  This came with 8 pieces, in 4 different combinations.  As you can see from the picture that I will post, this is absolutely gorgeous.  There was anything from salmon, to white tuna, to tuna, and I forget what the last one was.  I think my favorite was the white tuna with the thin sliced jalapeño, however, the salmon with the torch toasted onion was really nice as well.  Even so, they all worked well together with the various sauces, and everything was delightful.

Service was good, and the chefs behind the sushi bar are always great, and entertaining as well.  All in all, another great meal at Kenji’s minus the heat, but we’ll be back again soon!  Cheers!  -F. Scott

No comments: