Sunday, October 10, 2010

2007 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch

I really can't say for sure, but I think this must might be the first Carlisle zinfandel that we've ever opened.  Crazy to think, but I think that really is the case here, but WOW, and a great wine!

Popped and poured tonight on "le bistro" as we affectionately call it.  Very nice dark purple color in the glass and a gorgeous berry medley on the nose.  Tons of black fruit like boysenberry, blackberry, blueberry, and kirsch.  There is also some nice spice and earthiness to the nose as well, and maybe some floral tones as well.  I think lavender was thrown out there as a descriptor, and this seems right on..  A bit of alcohol on the backside of the nose comes through as well, but at 15.9%, I expected a lot more alcohol.  It seems to have integrated nicely.

On the palate, the black fruits are definitely there!  Dark raspberry flavors are prevalent, with more blackberry and boysenberry.  It is just a berry pie of sorts, with a great jamminess to it, with good acidity and minerality.  Secondary nuances of dark cherry come through, along with a nice creamy vanilla tone that I am assuming is oak.  The alcohol is there a bit on the finish, with some nice tannin as well.

This wine is obviously young, but I would say that this is one of my top 3 zinfandel's of all time, which is a pretty bold statement.  We still have one more of these, and I'll let it rest for another couple of years to see how it develops.  But even so, popped and poured, this wine is drinking very nicely right now, and worth of 92 points!  Cheers!

3 comments:

Tom DeBiase said...

Hey Mark, Carlisle makes some swesome zins don't they. The 2007 papera ranch is mind blowing good.

Catch up with you soon, I'm in Asia this week on business.

NJFoodies said...

Tom: you don't have to tell me twice! This zin was definitely rockin', and I am looking forward to more. This was one that I actually got from you when you let me in on your allocation, so as always, thanks again! I think i had two of these, so that is why we popped one. Such great wines for the money! Can't beat them! Just might have to open of of their syrah this weekend! Cheers Tom!

NJFoodies said...

Ad Tom, have a great time in Asia! Be safe over there, and we'd love to get together with you and your bride when you return! Cheers!