Saturday, March 21, 2009

2005 Tobin James Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard

With Tom always bringing such great wines, I figured that I would try to bring something fun, and something that we would enjoy. Tobin James is all about fun, over the top fruit bombs, and with the Dusi Vineyard harvesting such great fruit, I figured why not. This seemed to be a crowd pleaser at the table, however, it left me a bit disappointed. However, as Zelda pointed out, we had a huge transition from the elegant Copain Cerise pinot noir to this huge, fruit forward monster, and I think that she is right. Had I drank this wine on it's own, I think I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. In the glass, this had a gorgeous dark ruby color. On the nose, wow! This wine was JAM CENTRAL! Huge hints of plum, blackberry jam, and raspberry marmalade...is there such a thing? The nose on this wine was fantastic. Moving onto the palate, I think that Tom said it best at first sip. "This wine is a mouthful of fruit." I could not have said it any better, however, it wasn't as pleasing on my palate after the pinot, and almost tasted over done to me. Regardless, nice dark berries on the palate, with more plum, currants, and strawberry. The finish however seemed a little out of balance to me, with some alcohol that seemed to go straight to your head, not your mouth. Does that makes sense? It's kind of hard to explain, but will try when I get some more time. 85 points.

No comments: