Wednesday, March 10, 2010

2006 Folio (Michael Mondavi Family) Cabernet Sauvignon Emblem Oso Vineyard

PBM brought this to Cafe Galleria in Lambertville, NJ tonight, and I thought that this was a very nice QPR. The way it developed in the glass was one of the strangest things I have ever experienced. Definitely some creamy oak and vanilla on the nose, with some dark black fruits. Nothing really stood out to me on the, but maybe some blackberry.

On the palate, at first, this wine was super smooth, with more mixed black berry on the palate, and a bit of caramel and mocha notes. Super smooth finish, and well integrated tannins. Second glass was similar, but then the tannins started to appear, and that was so odd to me, but not a bad thing at all as I enjoy that tannic backbone.

Poured a sip this morning, and the wine was just too cold to pick anything up as I threw it in the cellar last night. Still tasted nice, with more black fruits again and some nice currants. Tannins were hidden from the coldness of the wine.

I let it warm up while I was in the shower near the fireplace, and once again, the nose was similar, but the vanilla really stood out, as well as some nice spice and plum. Similar palate as before, but once again, the tannins were back.

I have never seen a wine evolve like this over a such period of time, but I find it interesting. I think this wine will get better in the next 3-5 for sure, and I would also be curious to see how this wine is popped and poured. Going to try to track a few down, because based on this one, it's a nice cab for $25.

No comments: