Sunday, March 7, 2010

Amy's Omelette House - Burlington, NJ

First and foremost, let me say that I don't think I have ever blogged abut breakfast, let along ever put a diner up on here, but hey, it was a nice Sunday, so why not! Had a nice little Sunday planned, doing some shopping and running around. To quote the movie old school, "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time." OK, back to serious here, I cannot tell you how many times we have driven past this place, and I have heard the myths about their menu and the choice of over 1000 different omelette's. I can confirm however, that they do not have over 1000 omelette's, but they do have a ridiculous 220 different omelette's on the menu! WOW! That being said, when I was sitting at the stop light staring this place in the eye, I looked over at Zelda and said that we had to try it. Parked in their roomy lot, came in the front door, and were immediately seated in a booth. The place was pretty busy, and both rooms were filled with customers. In looking at the menu, WOW, there are a lot of things on there. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted breakfast or lunch, but I really wanted and was in the mood for breakfast. As much as I wanted to try an omelette, which is what was told the are famous for, I just could not get away from the "homemade hash," and figured I had to try it for the Chowhound members talking about it IN THIS THREAD. That said, I went for the two eggs, with homemade hash, home style potatoes, and white toast. I ordered my eggs over medium, and this gives them some nice firmness, yet gives it enough warm yolk to dunk my toast in! YUM! The eggs were absolutely perfect! The hash was nice, and one of my biggest gripes with corn beef has is that the meat always takes over the potatoes, and is always so wet and smashed, that the meat doesn't seem cooked. This was not the case at all, and I really liked the ratio of meat to potato. One thing however that the hash could have used was better seasoning, but once I added some salt and pepper, it was really nice. The home style potatoes had some nice onion and green pepper elements, but I would have preferred them left in the pan to cook for another 10 minutes to give them a nice crisp and crunch. For most people however, these might be perfect! The toast was nice, and came out pre-buttered. It was perfect to use to absorb my runny eggs yolks! YUM! As for Zelda, she had some pancakes and scrambled eggs, and can you really go wrong there? A huge portion of each, and the pancakes were delicious. All in all, I wouldn't drive out of my way to go here for breakfast, as it didn't blow me away, but come on, it's a New Jersey diner, and they are a dime a dozen. Speaking from a hypothetical standpoint however, had the hash been seasoned properly, I probably would have been pretty darn impressed! However, the omelette selection alone makes it worth the trip, and I would go back to try an omelette. Cheers! -F. Scott Amy's Omelette House 637 High Street (Route 130)
Burlington, NJ 08016
Phone: (609) 386-4800

3 comments:

brian said...

i'm glad you posted this! i used to pass by this on my way to work all the time and just the name intrigued me. it wasn't just a diner...it was an omelette house! unfortunately, i've never been.

i now want breakfast after reading and seeing your photo!

artisan vineyards said...

The picture of your breakfast looks fantastic! I have to say that I would have probably made the same selection. Great write up!

artisan vineyards said...

The picture of your breakfast looks fantastic! I have to say that I would have probably made the same selection. Great write up!