Friday, May 9, 2008

2004 Sanford Pinot Noir

What can we say, other than "YUM" about another great bottle of this '04 Sanford Santa Rita Hills? This is the wine that changed our thoughts on pinot noir forever, and is just such a darn good bargain! Unfortunately, stock on the 2004 is starting to run a little thin, so lets hope some similar pinot releases are soon to come. With the thousands of pinot out there, I am sure we will find one, but for now, this is just so darn enjoyable!

Tonight we brought this along with us to Blue Bottle Cafe in Hopewell, NJ, and as always, it was a pleasant treat! Popped and poured at this "new to us" BYO, this wine showed the usual hints of the '04 Sandford. Great ruby color in the glass, thinning ever so slightly near the rim. Tons of cherry, strawberry, and raspberry on the nose, with the faintest hints of cola and spice. Lots of candied cherry on the palate, and a finish that likes to linger pleasantly for 20-30 seconds.

There is something so special about the '04 that the '05 lacked, mainly in the fruit department. Was this because the harvest was that much better in 2004? What the fruit harvested earlier? Later? I wish I knew the answers to these questions, but I don't.

Unfortunately, I do not see this wine improving at all any further, but I think it will hold steady for another 2-3 years with proper cellaring. I have a local hot spot with a few more bottles, and maybe I'll have to clean out their inventory so we can enjoy one a year for the next few years...hmmm. Another consistent 90 point Sanford! Cheers!

No comments: