Wednesday, May 14, 2008

2006 Sanford Pinot Noir - Santa Rita Hills


Sanford's latest release, and another good one...but be patient and give it some time in the bottle...

Nice red/violet color in the glass with raspberry, black cherry, blackberry, other black fruits which I can't identify, a hint of cola, vanilla, oak, and pepper on the nose! Lots of dark berries on the mid-palate, with strong tannins and acidity. The finish was short, and a tad on the sour side. This wine is showing well for being so young, but lacking the complexity and the "candied cherry" that I have grown to love in the '04. In my opinion, this is a better offering right off the bat than the '05, but I said it before, and I will say it again, Sanford hasn't been the same since Richard and Thekla left! Regardless, they are still making a good wine!

In short, this wine is still young in the bottle and needs more time! Based on the tannin structure in this bottle, I think that this bottle will age nice for up to 5 years...maybe more!

No comments: