Monday, June 2, 2008

Witherspoon Grill - Princeton, NJ

A lovely June 2nd night in Princeton, and my birthday to boot, so tonight Zelda took me to Witherspoon Grill in Princeton. This is somewhere that we have been meaning to try for quite a while, and it as not to disappoint.
We got to the grill early tonight, and got a great table outside overlooking the library courtyard. What a great setting!
Tonight we started with 2 glasses of the 2005 Cloudyline pinot noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon. What a treat! We skipped out on the appetizers tonight, and for entrees, Zelda ordered the Lobster Rissotto. This was cooked as perfect as lobster could be, with a generous portion of lobster meat and portabello mushrooms. The mushroom added a very nice flavor to the rissotto, giving it a very meaty flavor. This was also a good sized portion, so Zelda even has some leftovers to bring home for lunch tomorrow.
Our server did a good job selling us on the fact that Witherspoon Grill is a steak house, but after having a great filet at Tavern on the Green, I opted for the braised short ribs, and I am very glad that I did! This could not have been cooked any better, and was served over a nice bed of mashed potatoes and gravy. The seasoning was perfect, and you did not even need a fork to cut it. The meat was falling off of the bone, and it was a true pleasure to eat. The mashed were a perfect consistency, and the gravy was absolutely tasty. I also had a side of onion rings, that were large cut, with a nice beer batter on them. These paired perfectly with the short ribs, however it was too much food. I would have been better off not ordering them, but I am glad that I did.
We opted to pass on dessert, as Zelda has a lovely cake for me tonight. Another great local restaurant that we have been meaning to visit, and another restaurant that I am glad we did. I look forward to visting Witherspoon for lunch in the future!

No comments: