Saturday, September 4, 2010

2006 Myriad Cellars Syrah Las Madres Vineyard

This was one of about 2 dozen bottles I picked up from our offsite storage on Friday. This is a wine that I have been looking forward to checking in on, and I figured now was as good of a time as any. Thankfully, we still have another one of these in the cellar, as well as one more at offsite.


Popped and poured this tonight on “The Bistro,” as we were hanging out “227 style” with the neighbors while trying to decide what to do for dinner. Gorgeous, dark purple and inky color in the glass, with a nose that could be smelled from 10 feet away. Our neighbors Bill and Jim were sitting a good 5-10 feet away, and they both commented on how fruity the wine smelled from there. Nice cherry and plum on the nose, with some chocolate and spice/pepper tones as well. Secondary hints of petrol and tar round out the nose with more jammy black and red fruits.
On the palate, this wine is in a great place right now, and I can only guess that this will continue to evolve for another 5 years. The first thing I noticed on this wine was the white pepper. It was definitely there, but not overpowering. More dark red and black fruits dominate the palate, and to me, it was raspberry and black cherry that were the shining stars. The alcohol seems to be integrated, and I noticed none whatsoever. Finally, more pepper rounded out the finish, which lingered in length for what I would consider a medium finish.

In short, this is definitely drinking nicely right now. No complaints whatsoever on this wine, although, it does have just a bit more pepper than what I truly love in syrah. Great QPR at just under $40. $90 points! Cheers! -F. Scott

No comments: