Sunday, September 19, 2010

Marsha Brown Restaurant - New Hope, PA

I can't tell you how many times we have walked past Marsha Browns and not even though about walking in here for dinner and lunch, but I would have to guess it has been at least3-4 dozen times.  You never really hear anyone talk about this restaurant, and I really don't see anything on any of the different foodie boards or blogs that I visit.

So today, as we walked by, we looked at the menu, and both of u were curious.  Their sign out on the sidewalk said that they had the best burger, which had me a little intrigued, and actually sounded good as I saw Sandra Lee making sliders on her show as I was getting into the shower this morning.  Our other option was to head down to Mother's Wine Bar, and grab a sandwich there.  But we ended up wanting to see what Marsha Browns was all about, and I am actually glad that we did.

We walked and in and were given the option to sit in the dining room, or at the bar.  It looked like most everyone was in the bar, and it seemed like they were kind of pushing the bar, so that is where we went.

The bar is large, with big murals painted on the back wall. The bar is 4 sided, and there are tables along the right hand wall of the bar. Very cozy, and they have a few tv's to watch sports or whatever might be on.


The bartender came over and asked us what we wanted for drinks. Zelda went for a belini, and in looking around the bar, I saw a woman to my right that had a Mojito that looked delicious. Needless to say, the drinks came back, and were indeed tasty.

In looking at the menu, it's nice to see a Creole inspired restaurant in the area. I had no idea that this was a Creole restaurant, but you can definitely spot the New Orleans influence in the menu. What drew me in today however, was the burger. The sign out front stated that they had the best burger, which is a very bold statement when directed towards me, as I love a burger more than most. So that said, I have to see for myself.

Zelda had quite a few items of interest, and she was having a hard time decide on what to order. In the end she decided on the Mamere's Crab Cheese Cake, which is something that I actually considered for my next visit here, if we decided to come back.

For starters, I wasn't craving anything, but Zelda wanted to try a cup of their "Real Gumbo Ya Ya." This came out, and had chicken, andouille sausage, rice, and okra in it, and was very tasty. It had a nice spice to it, and the heat from the spice hit ya in the back of the palate. All in all, this was a tasty cup of soup, and better than most of the gumbo I've tried in this area.

A little while later out came the entrees, and they both looked gorgeous. You can tell that Zelda's is premade ahead of time, and is sliced almost like a piece of quiche. The top had a nice golden brown crust to it, and it was served with a side salad. Let me say that the crab in this dish was great, and paired with the gouda cheese, you really have a winner here. As you can see in the picture, there is a green onion coulis on the side, that is drizzled with a remoulade sauce. This had incredible, fresh, and vibrant flavors. All in all, the elements of this dish went together very well, and it was absolutely tasty. I would definitely order this again, and my only gripe, which Zelda disagreed with, was the fact that I thought it could have been warmed up a little hotter.
As for my burger, this came out and was a good sized portion. This was served on an onion roll that looked absolutely delicious! The cheese was melted on top, and the fries looked nicely seasoned. Upon first bite, the flavors were delectable, and the grill had a nice flavor to it. The burger itself really reminded me of the burger from Braddock's Tavern, and that is not a bad thing in the least. The beef had good flavor, and it was just all around an enjoyable burger.

That said, regardless of the negative press I've heard about Marsha Brown's, I have to say that we had a great experience. If I had to gripe about one thing, it would simply be the prices on the drinks. 2 drinks at $10 a pop is a bit ridiculous to me. We're not in Manhattan people, we're in po-dunk Pennsylvania, well out of Philadelphia, but I'll take it as a lesson learned. We'll definitely be back in the future! Cheers!

Marsha Brown Creole Kitchen and Lounge
15 South Main Street
New Hope, PA 18938
t: 215.862.7044
f: 215.862.7077

No comments: