Saturday, September 11, 2010

2007 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Mountain

Now here is a wine that I have truly been looking forward to based on the vintage.  Sure, we have a case of these in the cellar aging, but I have yet to grab one from out stash to try.  Now that I have, I really need to take all of these up to offsite storage, because before I know it, we could really burn through these, and fast!

Nice new world cabernet nose with oodles of dark fruits.  Nice black cherry and cassis on the nose, with other crushed dark berry and a bit of green pepper.  You can also pick out some sweet vanilla that I attribute to the oak, but this has a gorgeous young nose.  Some spice rounds out the nose.

On the palate, this is yet another high octane fruity wine drinking nicely from the get go.  How Paul crafts wines that drink this well so young is beyond me, and maybe one of these years I'll start believing him when he says that they are drinking well right now. 

More jammy raspberry and and black cherry on the palate, with a nice medium body.  The fruit here is really nice, and as always, you can tell the love that Paul and Stef put into this wine.  Secondary hints of blueberry and strawberry are here, with some subtle currant notes as well.

Definitely a bit of young tannic backbone, but not offensive in the least.  There is still a touch of alcohol here, but again, this is not offensive in the least, an this will settle out in no time.  I have to say that the 2006 version of this wine has been a favorite of mine in their lineup, but this is already every bit as good, and is only going to get better!  Looking forward to more of these, and 93 point worthy right now.  Cheers!

No comments: